Tuesday, March 22, 2011

BATTLE Bun Bo Hue - Calgary Trail Noodle House

Bun bo hue is one of my favorite Vietnamese noodle soups, and thus I have been on an adventure to find the BEST Bun bo hue.


Bun bo hue's Story:


A Vietnamese noodle soup made using beef bones as the primary protein. It originated from Hue in Central Vietnam, and is predominantly flavored with lemon grass and chili. It is usually served with thick rice vermicelli, topped with sliced beef shank, sliced or whole pork hock, Vietnamese sausage, pork blood (optional), and oxtail if you're lucky. When served, it is common to add bean sprouts, lime, cilantro, green onion, and finely sliced banana blossom (usually substituted with cabbage). Shrimp paste is often added, however, it is usually quite subtle, compared to other crab/shrimp based soups.






Calgary Trail Noodle House:


Normally I will refuse to go to Calgary Trail Noodle House, simply because it seriously lacks consistency. Based on my experiences, when the good chef is present, food is amazing, however, when the food is cooked  by anybody else, it's pretty disappointing.


I dropped by the other day since I was craving Vietnamese food and happened to be in the area.


SURPRISE!! I ordered the Bun bo hue, and it was one of the BEST Bun bo hue broths I've ever had in Edmonton! Now I don't know how it tastes on a bad day, but I considered myself lucky and happily nomnomed all the way to the bottom of the bowl. ^____^V


The chili oil on the surface of the soup had chopped lemon grass in it!
The toppings were typical - It was served with beef shank,Vietnamese sausage, and a few slices of pork hock, but no pork blood. Also, no banana blossom (almost no restaurant in Edmonton serves it), but not even chopped cabbage!


Beef shank on the left, Vietnamese sausage slices on the right
The broth was very lemon grassy with a thick layer of fragrant lemon grass infused chili oil and the noodles were cooked perfectly al dente. The sweetness of pork bone could be tasted in the broth, as well as the pungency of crab paste.


If I can somehow figure out who the good chef at this joint is and when he or she is working, I'll definitely be back!




Calgary Trail Noodle House on Urbanspoon





5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    We received a request from Urbanspoon user "nattycat" (xxxxxx@ualberta.ca) claiming that they are the author of I < 3 NOM NOM!. It sounds like you, but I'm writing to verify that this is the case and that you want to allow nattycat to manage your blog on Urbanspoon.

    You can visit the Urbanspoon page for I < 3 NOM NOM! here:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/131/4553/Edmonton/I-3-NOM-NOM.html

    Please reply and let me know whether or not we should approve this claim.

    Thanks!
    Greg

    greg @ urbanspoon dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Bun Bo Hue is one of my favorite soups at Vietnamese restaurants!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! this looks so good! ahh I love viet noodle soups ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry @Greg for taking so long to get back to you, I have submitted another claim and blogged about my new account with Urbanspoon!

    Cheers and happy eating!


    @Eva, it was so good to meet you! Hopefully we'll get a chance to nom nom next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best place is nha trang. Has pork hock and pork blood.

    ReplyDelete