Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Homemade PHO!!!

Home made <3 PHO <3 aka Vietnamese noodle soup!! 

phở bò

The broth for pho is supposed to be a rich, clear stock flavored with a number of seasonings, many of which reflect the French influence on the dish. 

It is made with either beef, phở bò, or chicken, phở gà, however, I usually play around with different types of bones, combining beef, chicken, or pork, to get the flavor I prefer. 

(I KNOW, this technically take it out of the pho category, but hey, what fun is it if you don't play around in the kitchen? Anyway, I  grew up on pho that was always a combination of beef and chicken, so that's how I like it best. ''^___^)

For this pot, I used pork neck bones, oxtail, beef bones, and beef flank for the soup base, then seasoned with whole onion, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, cloves, black cardamom, coriander seeds, star anise, black pepper, palm sugar, cinnamon, and liquorice root. I then served it with fresh rice noodles, thinly sliced rare sirloin, thick slices of flank, and pork balls, before garnishing with roughly chopped green onions, cilantro, bean sprouts, Thai basil, and a squeeze of lemon.

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOMMMMMM!!!!


I'll be posting a step-by-step soon!
XOXO
- nattycat

2 comments:

  1. yumm!!! cant wait for the step by step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOM NOM NOM loooks soo yummy, ive had this in veitnamese restaurant its so nice :)

    ReplyDelete