Thursday, November 25, 2010

Beijing Restaurant

Lately, now that winter has unfortunately arrived, I've been sleeping in all the time, and by sleeping in, I mean, completely hibernating. Turns out I'm not the only one, as MBear also appears to be afflicted with the same "it's snowing too damn much and there's not enough sun and it's so ridiculously cold that I might as well lock myself in the room because I'm utterly depressed" syndrome. Anyway, we finally made plans to go for lunch, and committed ourselves to actually waking up before the sun came up.


We managed to wrench ourselves out of bed around 1:30pm, and rushed over to Beijing Restaurant over on Calgary Trail to catch some dimsum before the dimsum cutoff at 3:00pm (I'm not joking when I say "rush," we literally went there looking like bag ladies with birds in our hair hehe). Normally Beijing serves dimsum through a combination of push carts and ordering sheets, so we quickly picked a few of the usuals. The rest, we had to order. For tea, I ordered my favorite, Iron Buddha, aka "teet goon yum," or "ti quan yin," a type of Oolong tea that is very fragrant, with a slight bitterness that helps cut through the greasiness of dimsum.


Shrimp Dumplings (ha gaow)


Pork and Shrimp Dumplings (siu mai)


Beef Balls (ow yoon)
- Served with Worcestershire sauce


Deep Fried Pork Filled Mochi (ham sui gok)


The back looks like a bum crack heheheheh ( ^_____^   )b


Chinese Donut wrapped in Green Onion Rice Roll  (tsa leung)


The rice roll is served with a peanut and hoisin sauce (left). Nomnomnom!






1...


2...


3... TADA!!!
Sharkfin, Shrimp, and Pork Dumpling in Soup (boon tong gaow)
- Served with red vinegar


Steamed Molten Salted Egg Yolk and Custard Bun (laow sa bao) - they look cute!


Alas... the center is not molten at all  ( T_____T" ) 


Overall, everything was pretty average for Edmonton. My only complaints would be that the Pork and Shrimp Dumplings were not topped with real caviar, the Fried dumpling was a bit too greasy, the dumpling skin for the Soup Dumpling was way too thick and doughy, and that the Molten bun was not molten at all. In fact, the dough towards the center of the bun next to the filling was still a bit raw, so we ended up sending it back. I almost never send food back to a Chinese restaurant unless it is undercooked or gone bad, so trust me when I say it was pretty disgusting. If you want a good Molten Yolk and Custard bun, I'd highly recommend trying the one served at the dimsum restaurant over in the Howard Johnston Hotel in the West end.


Our bill came to about $35 before tip for two people, including two gingerales and an orange juice.


One thing I have to say to all dimsum lovers is that, you must try eating dimsum while drinking GINGERALE. There is something sooooo good about the combination. Try it out and let me know if you agree!




Beijing Restaurant
(780) 435-8833
#700, 3803 Calgary Trail
Edmonton, Alberta




Beijing Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I love the salted egg custard bun & the tsa leung, esp the peanut sauce, my favourite :D yummmmms~~~~~

    love, mica

    ReplyDelete